Friday, October 10, 2014

Socratic Seminar: Series Enders


For those of you who are unaware, Socratic Seminars are defined as "collaborative, intellectual dialogue facilitated with open-ended questions about a text." I use these in my classroom to get my students engaged in the text we are reading/discussing. It works much better than just having them stare at me for 45 minutes.

There's a bittersweet feeling when a beloved series ends. It feels right, but you want more! But at the same time, you feel that more would taint the loveliness of the ending.

Maybe it's because I'm keeping better track of what series I'm reading, but I feel like this was the year of series enders - or is it just me? For example, there are eight - eight! - series that I read that ended this year. It was sad saying goodbye to all these amazing characters and their stories. (For the purpose of this post, I chose the series where the final book was published in 2014 and I have completed reading the entire series - or will in the case of Mara Dyer and Pushing the Limits.)

I have an issue with books that finish a series. I'm desperate to get my hands on it. Want it. Need it. Got to have it. And then once I have it . . . it sits on my kitchen counter for a few weeks. Staring at me. Eventually I pick it up and devour it in a day or two, but then it's over. I'm happy and sad at the same time - and depending on how the series ended, I might be balling my eyes out.

To those series that ended (and I read/finished) this year, I love you. I miss you. And I can't wait to binge read you.

White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter


  

The Grisha by Leigh Bardugo


  

Soul Screamers by Rachel Vincent


   

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard


   

Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


  

The Violet Eden Chapters by Jessica Shirvington


 
  

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

(I'm kind of guessing on this one since Katie is starting a new series and there isn't an unpublished book on Goodreads for this series aside from Breaking the Rules. Correct me if I'm wrong!)

  
  

Just One Day by Gayle Forman


   



Did you read any of these series? What are some beloved series you read that also ended this year?


Goodreads Twitter Instagram Google Plus Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...