Saturday, March 14, 2015

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson (Review)


Genre:
Young Adult, 
Publication Date:January 6, 2015


Published By:  Delacorte Press
WebsiteFirefight on Goodreads

Brandon Sanderson Website
My review copy:Purchased

Where to get:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/firefight-brandon-sanderson/1119220559?ean=9780385743587




They told David it was impossible--that even the Reckoners had never killed a High Epic. Yet, Steelheart--invincible, immortal, unconquerable--is dead. And he died by David's hand. 

Eliminating Steelheart was supposed to make life more simple. Instead, it only made David realize he has questions. Big ones. And there's no one in Newcago who can give him the answers he needs. 

Babylon Restored, the old borough of Manhattan, has possibilities, though. Ruled by the mysterious High Epic, Regalia, David is sure Babylon Restored will lead him to what he needs to find. And while entering another city oppressed by a High Epic despot is a gamble, David's willing to risk it. Because killing Steelheart left a hole in David's heart. A hole where his thirst for vengeance once lived. Somehow, he filled that hole with another Epic--Firefight. And he's willing to go on a quest darker, and more dangerous even, than the fight against Steelheart to find her, and to get his answers.
(Goodreads)


  I squeezed the trigger. This time, the bullet didn't bounce off.  She fell to the ground, and a deeper red liquid began to pool around her, mixing with what was raining down.  I lowered the gun.
  My name is David Charleston.
  I kill people with super powers.
  I'd never had a problem killing Epics.  I still wouldn't have a problem doing it, when the time came.  That didn't prevent me from imagining Megan's face instead of Sourcefield's as I pulled the trigger.
  A party.  What was I going t do at a party?
  I had a feeling I'd have been off in the water with sharks.
  I'd moved on to killing other Epics, like Mitosis and Sourcefield.  Which had its own problems.  I'd interacted with Epics, even fallen for one.  I couldn't see them uniformly as monsters any longer.


  Though I had never picked up anything by this author before, Steelheart was probably one of my favourite reads last year and I was excited to be able to start Firefight.  Despite my current reading funk I found myself easily enjoying the entire book, and finding reasons not to put it down even when I knew I should.  Sanderson may be a new author for me (my first book of his being Steelheart), but he has not let me down.  Though I still favour Steelheart over Firefight, Sanderson's writing blew me away once again and yet had me begging for more by the end.

  The story line picks up not long after the ending of Steelheart, with the Reckoners fighting what seems to be High Epics that have been sent to Newcago for a purpose, to draw them out.  This brought a quick and interesting start to the book.  The pace for the most part kept up with the start of the book, and I would say that is why I had such an easy time not wanting to put it down.  I was also happy with the development of both the characters and the plot.  As a second book (which I normally find is used as a filler), I found none of the usual problems with lack of development in any area.  In fact there was almost as much action in this one as there was in the first, and the change in setting was executed almost flawlessly.  It's not that we have never seen a plot with a city under water, but more the way this city survived that made it unique.  In its own way the city really made the plot more interesting, but honestly there was a lot to love about this instalment.

  I seriously enjoy the amount of hope that David has.  It isn't even just his hope really, but the fact that he never stops questioning things.  With his original mission completed he could just continue down that path and try to take revenge on everyone he can.  However, David is willing to look outside of the box and take many things into consideration.  He may not be the strongest but when it comes to his will and determination to figure something out, he is without a doubt the strongest.  This is not to say that he always thinks thing through, because that much hasn't changed and sometimes he doesn't.  Actually he often seems to go with the David flow and takes plans with a grain of salt... Basically doing what he has to but also changing it if he feels something isn't right.

  There still is not much in the way of romance.  I'm not going to lie it still works for these books.  This is not saying that there is none because there is still a little woven into it, but still far from the main focus or even the secondary really.  Sanderson instead focuses on keeping true to his story and developing some new characters, as well as adding onto the old.  The changes that Prof goes through are mind blowing.  He is someone that David looks up to and yet, there is something going on.  In fact there seems to be a lot of change coming with everyone old and new.

  I seriously can't wait for 2016 and Calamity.  The way this one ended literally has me begging for more.  This series is exciting and action packed and not to be missed.  Brandon Sanderson has really caught my attention with this series.  I believe anyone that is a fan of his previous writing and those that love superpowers and a hero that can think for himself will enjoy this book.  However, it is a muct that you read Steelheart first!!

Goodreads Twitter Blog Instagram Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...