Friday, July 24, 2015

Hit by Delilah S. Dawson (Review)





Genre:
Young Adult, Thriller
Publication Date:April 14, 2015


Published By:  Simon Pulse
WebsiteHit on Goodreads

Delilah S. Dawson Website
My review copy:Provided by publisher for honest review 
 Where to get:


NO ONE READS THE FINE PRINT.

The good news is that the USA is finally out of debt. The bad news is that we were bought out by Valor National Bank, and debtors are the new big game, thanks to a tricky little clause hidden deep in the fine print of a credit card application. Now, after a swift and silent takeover that leaves 9-1-1 calls going through to Valor voicemail, they’re unleashing a wave of anarchy across the country.

Patsy didn’t have much of a choice. When the suits showed up at her house threatening to kill her mother then and there for outstanding debt unless Patsy agreed to be an indentured assassin, what was she supposed to do? Let her own mother die?

Patsy is forced to take on a five-day mission to complete a hit list of ten names. Each name on Patsy's list has only three choices: pay the debt on the spot, agree to work as a bounty hunter, or die. And Patsy has to kill them personally, or else her mom takes a bullet of her own.

Since yarn bombing is the only rebellion in Patsy's past, she’s horrified and overwhelmed, especially as she realizes that most of the ten people on her list aren't strangers. Things get even more complicated when a moment of mercy lands her with a sidekick: a hot rich kid named Wyatt whose brother is the last name on Patsy's list. The two share an intense chemistry even as every tick of the clock draws them closer to an impossible choice.

Delilah S. Dawson offers an absorbing, frightening glimpse at a reality just steps away from ours—a taut, suspenseful thriller that absolutely mesmerizes from start to finish.
(Goodreads)


I can't help it.  I can't lift the gun.  I'm stunned and weirdly flattered and mortified, and at the base of it all, I don't want to be the kind of girl who kills a guy with a pajama boner.
  In the back of this truck, ripped from my normal life, I could be anyone.  I ache for the armor of my belongings, to be more than just a scrubbed-clean, nearly naked murderer in a mail van.  Valor wanted an invisible soldier, of, sorts, and I guess they got one.
  How many people know that the government is no longer the government?  Where are the policemen and ambulance drivers?  Will they ever answer phones at 911 again?


  Long after I have finished reading I find myself at war with this read.  Did I love it, did I enjoy it, was I furious or did it just hit me the wrong way...  Honestly I am baffled as to what to say, to do this book the justice it probably deserves.  There are just so many conflicting feelings that stir around in me every time I think of this book and my time spent reading it.  Maybe this is because I expected this to be a standalone and when it wasn't... Well, lets just say that I was a little bit unhappy.

  I don't know if this book is to be considered a developing dystopia world or if it is just a thriller, and I am simply looking too deeply at this. Hit had a concept that is original and will draw people in, hold their attention, but for me I found that there were too many unanswered questions.  The pacing was not slow, it carried on at a consistent pace but I never found myself truly lost within the pages.  However, nearer to the end I did find it harder to put down but that only led into the disappointment of finding out this isn't a stand alone.  I will give a lot of credit for Dawson's ability to create and weave an original story with a well developed heroine

  Patsy was put into a position that is hard to judge.  People will probably say she had other choices, but really did she?  I think that many of us could not say what we would do unless honestly put in that position.  I was conflicted about her choices to start, but I believe I would step up the same way she did if it were to save someone I loved.  It was only when Patsy (and myself the reader) started seeing that there was a connection in the people she had to visit, that I really started to like her.  She was well written but I found that she often spent too much time concentrating on the wrong things.  The thing with Patsy is that despite everything I believe that her reactions were reasonable.  Patsy is a heroine in the most unconventional way.

  Hit was not what I expected, and yet I find myself curious to see where it goes.  The end took a bit of a twist that had me both furious and curious.  Despite the ups and downs I will most likely pick up the next book because I need to know what happens.  There is no denying that a plot like this will either lead into disaster or one girl saving more people from a Hunger Games type situation.  Hit is most likely to draw people that are interested in a pre-dystopia world, with realistic build up.







Goodreads Twitter Blog Instagram Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...