Thursday, November 5, 2015

Throwback Thursday Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Some of you may know that I originally had my own blog, Beauty but a Funny Girl, prior to joining Bookish (now Bookish Lifestyle). I was thinking the other day about all those reviews I left behind when I transferred and thought they should get some love too - no matter how badly written and newbie they come off! So I present to you: Throwback Thursday Reviews! Every once in a while I'll post an old review from Beauty but a Funny Girl, unedited in terms of content, with the exception of any spelling or grammatical mistakes. It's definitely going to be fun and interesting to see how my tastes and writing style have changed over the years!



Series:
Unearthly #1
Genre:
Young Adult, Romance, Angels, Paranormal
Publication.Date:January 4, 2011
Pages:435 (hardcover)
Published By:  HarperTeen
Website:Cynthia Hand 

Unearthly on Goodreads
My review copy:
Borrowed from the library

Where to get:
 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ready-player-one-ernest-cline/1100055635?ean=9780307887443 


In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees...

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

(Goodreads)

Originally posted December 16, 2012 on Beauty but a Funny Girl

I should not have read this book so soon after having read the Violet Eden series by Jessica Shirvington. It was hard not to compare the two, at least in the beginning.

Once I got into the story it was easier to distance myself from Violet. Yes, there is a love triangle in Unearthly, but it's not nearly as prominent and is not as "torn in two directions." At least not until the last hundred or so pages.

I liked Trevor right off the bat. He was snarky, confident, and... yummy. At first he seemed like he was going to be the bad boy, but once we saw more of him, he really turned out to be a perfect gentleman. He is "the type of guy most mothers would love their daughters to date. He's respectful, polite, even downright chivalrous" (371).

That's not to say Christian is a jerk. Okay, there was that one incident, but you'll get there. He's described as a god and every girl has some sort of obsession with him. I get it, and he's nice enough, but... that's it. We spend sometime with him, but he spends a majority of the book in New York City, so we really get to see more of Tucker's personalty than Christian's, but I have a feeling that will change.

I did enjoy the "triangle" between these two. It was a lot of fun to this their relationships developed. I really liked that it wasn't a instant love-thing either. The relationships were gradual and slow. I'm very interested to see how this is going to play out in the next few novels.

I liked Angela a lot and wished we could have seen more of her, same goes for her brother. I won't give away too much, but what happened to him?!

An issue I do have with the book is that nothing happens. Ninety-percent of the book is Clara living out her day-to-day life. She goes to her new school, makes two friends (or four depending on how you look at it), summer comes, and she tries to put the pieces of her purpose together, and (kind of) learn more about the mythology of angels.

I wish there would have been more action... until I got to Chapter 20 (page 387). I could not put the book down once I got to this point and everything prior was completely worth it. (I wish I could give more details and to what happened, but it was be pretty spoilery.) I got the action I was craving and more! And the plot twist? Wow. I was yelling expletives, with a few "I can't handle this" bursts.

I understand why the first hundred pages were the way they were now. Don't get me wrong, they were good, well worth the read, and I definitely enjoyed them. I feel like these pages also allow the sequels to be more jammed packed. We already know back stories, purposes, and a few angel tidbits, which gives Clara's mother to opportunity to spill her secrets and stop being so hush-hush! Sorry, it just annoyed me as much as it annoyed Clara. Her mother was so secretive! I get the one secret she kept, but the rest of them?! Tell me already!

I cannot wait to get to the sequels and find out what's going to happen, especially since I already read the blurbs! Too many novels, too little time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...